But nobody was injured in the fire at the Imperial Valley Mall hotel, Ken Herbert, El Centro Fire Department battalion chief, said.
“Because our intervention was so aggressive, we were able to quickly extinguish it,” Herbert said.
Firefighters arrived at the scene on Dogwood and Danenberg roads at 10 a.m. They could see smoke from the outside as they pulled to the parking lot curb, Herbert said. Guests were ushered out of the building soon after, he said.
Join the discussion and add your comments to this story! Scroll down or click here and tell us what you think.
Herbert praised Marriott management for having an emergency plan and following it. Meanwhile, maintenance staff adjusted the building ventilation system to help clear the smoke, he added.
“It’s in the business owner’s best interest to know all emergency exits,” Herbert said. “And this really hammers home the point: when you’re staying at a hotel, know where your escape routes are. It’s a great reminder for everyone checking in. You do it at home and you should do it when traveling.”
Herbert also said they know the fire started in the laundry room’s dryer.
The cause of the fire appeared to be faulty equipment, but it is still under investigation, he said. The only damage was some linens and a lint basket inside the dryer.
The building sustained no structural damage nor were there any injuries, Herbert said. Once firefighters were sure all the smoke was cleared the occupants were allowed back into the building.
Staff Writer William Roller can be reached at email@example.com or at 760-337-3435.