The information we were able to get from the Imperial Unified School District is still scant, but Superintendent Lisa Tabarez said the incident is still under investigation by Frank Wright Middle School administration.
Because the investigation is ongoing, Tabarez had few details. But, she said, “We encourage our students to help keep a safe environment by informing the staff about incidents like this one. We are confident that the FWMS teachers and staff would report any suspicious activities to the administration. At the conclusion of the investigation, the administration will take appropriate action as needed.”
Download our mobile app from your mobile device's app store/marketplace! Read the latest news, sports and more! Click here for more information!
One student did report redness on her fingertips and the top part of one of her palms from handling the dry ice. Tabarez said first aid was administered when it was reported. No other injuries were reported.
Dry ice, which is compressed carbon dioxide, is not the best thing for any person to be handling, especially children. Prolonged exposure to the skin can cause severe damage through frostbite. It can also rob the immediate vicinity of oxygen if it starts releasing its carbon dioxide in gas form in a confined, enclosed area. So it must be handled in a well-ventilated area.